Rangefinders (landing page)¶
Copter/Plane/Rover support a number of different rangefinders including Lidars (which use lasers or infra-red beams for distance measurements) and Sonars (which use ultrasonic sound), and also includes Maxbotix Sonar and Pulsed Light LED range finders. These devices can be used for measuring distance near to the ground for precision landings and altitude control, water depth, or object distance as proximity sensors for avoiding objects.
360 degree Lidars are typically used in object avoidance as proximity sensors. While multiple 1D (single dimensional) sensors can be used for proximity detection.
If you get a “Bad LiDAR Health” message in Mission Planner this
is caused because the rangefinder isn’t enabled for landing. This is
done through the
RNGFND_LANDING parameter and if set you should see
the message disappear.
RNGFNDx_MAX_CM must be set to a tested, appropriate value. If
RNGFNDx_MAX_CM is set to a value
greater than the range of the sensor, the autopilot will not respond correctly to the
Follow the links below (or in sidebar) for configuration information based upon your set-up.
- Rangefinder Setup Overview
- Aerotenna US-D1 Radar Altimeter
- Attollo Engineering Wasp200
- Benewake TF02 / TF03
- Benewake TFmini / TFmini Plus / TF-Luna
- Garman Lidar-Lite
- GY-US42 Sonar
- HC-SR04 Sonar
- LeddarTech Leddar One
- LeddarTech LeddarVu8
- LightWare SF20 / LW20 Lidar
- LightWare SF10 / SF11 Lidar
- Lightware SF02 Lidar
- Lightware SF40c (360 degree)
- Maxbotix I2C Sonar
- Maxbotix Analog Sonar
- RPLidar A2 360 degree laser scanner
- ST VL53L0X / VL53L1X Lidar
- TeraRanger One/EVO Rangefinders
- TerraRanger Tower (360 degree)
- Underwater Sonar