Benewake TF02 / TF03 lidar¶
The Benewake TF02 lidar has an indoor range of 22m, an outdoor range of 10m, an update rate of 100hz and weighs only 52g.
The TF03 has a range of 50m to 180m (depending upon the surface) and weighs 77g.
More details on both these lidar can be found in the benewake.com’s downloads area
Support for this sensor is available in Copter-3.6 (and higher) and Rover-3.4 (and higher)
Where to Buy¶
Connecting to the Autopilot¶
For a serial connection you can use any spare Serial/UART port. The diagram below shows how to connect to SERIAL4.
If the SERIAL4/5 port on a Pixhawk is being used then the following parameters should be set for the first rangefinder:
- SERIAL4_PROTOCOL = 9 (Lidar)
- SERIAL4_BAUD = 115 (115200 baud)
- RNGFND1_TYPE = 19 (Benewake TF02)
- RNGFND1_MIN_CM = 30
- RNGFND1_MAX_CM: for TF02 use 2000 for indoor, 1000 for outdoor. For TF03 use 3500 for indoor, 12000 for outdoor. This is the distance in centimeters that the rangefinder can reliably read.
- RNGFND1_GNDCLEAR = 10 or more accurately the distance in centimetres from the range finder to the ground when the vehicle is landed. This value depends on how you have mounted the rangefinder.
If instead the Telem2 port was used then the serial parameters listed above should instead be:
Testing the sensor¶
Distances read by the sensor can be seen in the Mission Planner’s Flight Data screen’s Status tab. Look closely for “sonarrange”.