User Manual Introduction¶
This User Manual is designed to work for the novice and experienced users. It should be easy to run through, but there is also a nice path for a leisurely walk.
Please do not be tempted to skip over steps and rush into flight. This is robotics and aviation combined – both of which are quite complex on their own. Take some time to become familiar with this user manual. Follow the steps patiently, and you will have your robot safely up in the air.
- Setup- Installing: hardware, software, and firmware. Plugging in: Sensors, radios, batteries, motors, etc.
- Configuration- Establish telemetry and control between: robot, ground-station, and RC-control transmitter. Set up flight modes, program failsafe behavior, calibrate sensors and motor-controllers, verify correct motor rotation and prop orientation.
- Tuning- Verify performance and behavior, adjusting parameters to suit
- Mission planning - Programming missions.
- Flying- Safe-skillful piloting and rules of the air, weather and location considerations, pre-flight checks, emergency procedures, operation examples
The topic of safety should be foremost on your mind.
Autonomous robots, flying machines, high-energy power systems driving rotating blades – you are in charge of these potential hazards.
APM is designed to easily integrate with most standard RC aircraft, from simple high-wing trainers to high-speed swept wing fighters and flying wings, to quadplanes and tilt-rotors. If you have something out of the ordinary please assume that a bit more tuning will be required to get things dialed in.
All of us involved with this project care a great deal about the privacy and safety of those whom we share this planet with. Please be a good steward of this technology. It is the product of many evenings and weekends, we make it available for benevolent use.