Thunder Tiger Toyota Hilux¶
The Thunder Tiger Toyota Hilux is a relatively inexpensive four wheel drive RC car with a top speed of about 1m/s.
One weakness of this frame is the suspension is a bit soft once the frame is loaded up with the required electronics (flight controller, GPS, receiver) which leads to some body role during stops.
- Thunder Tiger Toyota Hilux frame available from many retailers including Amazon
- Hex Cube flight controller or similar
- Adafruit ESP8266 wifi telemetry board
- any 8 channel (or more) transmitter like the Futaba T10J (the 2 channel transmitter/receiver provided with the frame is not currently supported by ArduPilot)
Mounting the electronics¶
- the Cube autopilot fits easily into front portion of the frame of the vehicle
- the GPS should be placed away from the motor and battery. In this example it was placed in the rear cargo bed
- some soldering is required to allow the 2S battery to plug into the power module
- the Adafruit ESP8266 wifi telemetry board should be connected to the Cube’s Telem1 port
- the frame apparently includes this WP-1040-Brushed ESC and the “Reverse” jumper should be set as shown below.
Firmware used: Rover-3.4.1
Parameter file: ThunderTiger-ToyotaHilux-Rover
This parameter file can be loaded using the Mission Planner:
- start the Mission Planner and connect to the flight controller
- open the Config/Tuning >> Full Parameter Tree page
- select “ThunderTiger-ToyotaHilux-Rover” from the drop down on the middle right and then push the “Load Presaved” button
The parameter file above includes setting the COMPASS_ORIENT parameter “4” (Yaw 180) because the wiring was more convenient if the GPS arrow was pointing backwards