SimpleBGC Gimbal (aka AlexMos gimbal)¶
The SimpleBGC is a popular brushless gimbal controller that can communicate with ArduPilot (Copter, Plane and Rover) using a custom serial protocol. More details on the capabilities of this gimbal can be found at basecamelectronics.com
Support for this gimbal is included in Copter 3.4 (and higher).
Where to Buy¶
The SimpleBGC controller and accompanying 2-axis and 3-axis gimbals can be purchased from basecamelectronics.com and many other retailers.
Connecting the gimbal to the Flight Controller¶
Although the SimpleBGC can be connected using PWM (similar to the Tarot gimbal) we recommend using the serial interface connected to one of the flight controller’s Serial/Telemetry ports like Telem2 as shown above.
Setup through the Ground Station¶
Set the following parameters through your ground station and then reboot the flight controller:
- MNT_TYPE to 3 / “AlexMos-Serial”
- SERIAL2_PROTOCOL to 7 / “AlexMos Gimbal Serial” (Notee “SERIAL2” should be “SERIAL1” if using Telem1 port, SERIAL4 if using Serial4/5, etc)
If you are unable to connect you may wish to set the following parameters although normally this should not be required:
- SERIAL2_BAUD to 115 (means use serial baudrate of 115200)
- BRD_SER2_RTSCTS to 0 to disable flow control on Telem2 (use BRD_SER1_RSCTS if connecting to Serial1, Serial4/5 never uses flow control)
The gimbal’s maximum lean angles can be set using these parameters:
- MNT_ANGMIN_ROL, MNT_ANGMAX_ROL to -3000 and 3000 to limit the roll angle to 30 degrees in each direction
- MNT_ANGMIN_TIL, MNT_ANGMAX_TIL to -9000 and 0 to limit the gimbal to point between straight down (-90 degrees) and straight forward (0 degrees)
To control the gimbal’s lean angles from a transmitter set:
- MNT_RC_IN_TILT to 6 to control the gimbal’s tilt (aka pitch angle) with the transmitter’s Ch6 tuning knob
For a 3-axis gimbal with 360 degrees of yaw set: